Need4Seed: Dublin Drift
A downloadable game for Windows and macOS
Need For Seed: Dublin Drift is a demo game I made for a Master's solo project. Control a bird of your choosing as you fly around a real life map of Dublin. Beat your personal best time - unfortunately this didn't end up becoming the enjoyable game I intended it to be as I ran out of time to work on the gameplay because flying mechanics turned out to be far more complex than I expected, and I had no idea of all the extra things to think about with how the bird moved, how it collided with objects, and so on.
I had intended to make this a racing game with AI opponents to beat, but I had to scale everything back in the end. This was a great exercise in when to admit I'm beat and not keep struggling with the same feature that isn't working, plus I learnt to make a nice game environment with a real map. I also came away from this project with a lot of experience with colliders, rigidbodies and different types of physics movement.
- Real map of Dublin with exaggerated building heights from a map api with manually added 3d assets (trees, benches, bridges, water)
- Other birds in the sky and people and cars below following their own semi-random navmesh paths. Birds squawk when close and cars beep.
- Dart and Luas with their own routes and noises.
- 2 collectables - food and checkpoints
- Collision between bird at speed and buildings mostly accurate
- Challenging / too hard flying mechanic with 2 bars, energy and turbo
- 3 playable birds with their own cries and stats
- Save your best score (quickest time) and attempt to beat that record.
- V6 - Sound and trains fixed89 days ago
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.